Customer Effort Score - Are you measuring it? If so, how and when?

Patrick MartinPatrick Martin Senior Director, Technical SupportFounding Analyst | Scholar ✭✭

Hello TSIA Community,

We are looking into incorporating the Customer Effort Score into our transactional surveys (once cases are closed) and I was curious to see if, how and when you were measuring this within your organizations. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers

• John RagsdaleJohn Ragsdale Distinguished VP, Technology Research Member | Guru ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I don't have current data on this, the last thing I can find is from 2016, and at that time, 29% of members were tracking CES. But I know it is more common today. We do have customer effort score in the TSIA support services benchmark, so if you go through the benchmarking process you can find out the industry average and average for your peer companies.

• Gail PropsonGail Propson Director, New Business Development Founding Partner | Scholar ✭✭

Hi @Patrick Martin,

Great question! We have a number of our clients using the Customer Effort Score (CES) question in their transactional customer feedback programs.@Patrick Martin The question is typically used after a service event has been completed.

Our recommendation is to place the question at the beginning of the question set. The score is helpful but, the real value comes from a follow up question asking "why" they gave you that score. Here is how we recommend you structure CES as a two part question. 

On a scale of 1 -5 where 5 is very easy and 1 is very difficult, how would you rate, how easy it was to handle this service event?

You provided a (insert rating). May I ask Why?

Customer comments: ______________________________ 

For our clients we provide categorizing & trending of the comments. The trending allows for quicker insight & action to prevalent issues.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about our process

All the best,

Gail