Training for High Performing Teams

Options
Lexi Provost
Lexi Provost Moderator | mod
edited February 2023 in Workforce Management

Hi TSIA Exchange! I have heard from a few members that since their team is very high performing they are prone to internal promotions and need to hire and get new employees up to speed frequently and quickly.

How does your company combat this issue? Are there training levers that can be pulled to decrease employee time to value?

Comments

• PatrickMartin
    PatrickMartin Founding Analyst | Expert ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Lexi,

The Support team at Coveo are building an entire Internal Development program that is tied to our career pathing framework. Each path is made up of specific trainings, that are tied to learning objectives that are required to perform at different levels. Each path builds on top of the next one, which not only eases new employee onboarding/training, but also fuels continuous learning and development.

I know this is a pretty high level answer. If you are interested in knowing more in detail, let me know and we can set something up to review.

• Jason Seals
    Jason Seals Moderator | mod
    Options

While we have been continuously working hard to make our career path opportunities more sophisticated and more helpful for people at all levels so they can keep learning and moving up, I have found that exploration opportunities make a huge difference in getting employees up to speed when they do get that promotion.

For instance, if the members of our entry level teams have opportunities to take part in projects and processes "above their pay grade", they will be much closer to having the skills they need when they get a new role. Side benefit: they likely know more about other parts of the business not pertaining to their new role that help them make decisions with their cross-functional partners in mind.

• etaylor-beck@relias.com
    etaylor-beck@relias.com Member | Enthusiast ✭
    Options

I'm a little late to the party, but we are building career pathing into our framework to create more in-seat opportunities for folks to get promoted without leaving the team.

As far as training, we gave up a headcount to create a Support-dedicated trainer to help with onboarding and remediation training. The onboarding process uses several modes of training (LMS, in-person, asynchronous, shadowing, etc.) to get folks ramped up more quickly.

Once a new hire is "on the floor," they have access to the team and our Tier IIs through MS Teams. We're also updating our knowledge base and other information to make it easier to find answers when handling cases, and this is helping to reduce the onboarding period.

• PatrickMartin
    PatrickMartin Founding Analyst | Expert ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Erika TaylorBeck

You mention that you have updated your knowledge base to make it easier to find answers. Are you using any type of insight engine (like Coveo for example) to centralize all search activities and leverage AI to help agents find the relevant information they need? This would definitely be something to look into if you are not. Let me know if you would like to know more on how we use this type of technology for our own Support team.

• etaylor-beck@relias.com
    etaylor-beck@relias.com Member | Enthusiast ✭
    Options

Hi, @PatrickMartin!

Yes, we're using SearchUnify to make it easier for customers to search our community and for our agents to get answers to questions while working cases. We're currently in the implementation process and should be going live at the end of February. Thanks for the offer to help!