How has your organization transformed execution of your traditional services offers following the in

In your experiences, does transitioning service models to more outcome-focused or XAAS models also necessitate a shift in the way core/traditional services activities are performed?

Answers

• Carlos Alves
    Carlos Alves TSIA Administrator, Moderator, Founding Member | admin

I think so. It is a complete organizational change. Delivery is not outcome-oriented as well, focusing on SLAs. Once you move to outcomes and customers' business goals, you must think as a partner, not another provider. I'd involve Delivery from the start, since they may have a good view and feel about the customers' needs and goals due to their proximity.

• PatrickMartin
    PatrickMartin Founding Analyst | Expert ✭✭✭

I would agree here. All your services need to be transformed as you move to XaaS since your playing field is different. You now have visibility in customer consumption, meaning that your services need to be built around this data and focused on your customer's business outcomes. To make this transformation a success, you'll need to think about your entire customer journey, identifying which information is required at which stages to ensure your services teams have a good understanding of the outcomes when interacting with your customers. If the information is not captured upstream (Sales, BD, etc.), it becomes challenging for Services teams to align with what was sold and why.

• Patrick McGowan
    Patrick McGowan Member | Enthusiast ✭

I would say "yes and no" to this one. Here's how I see it play out most often.

The existing/traditional services don't have to change. Rather, it becomes clearer what role/function they actually play and provide for the company and its customers. Often, the traditional services are more about "product troubleshooting" or "product-in-use optimization" or "good old fashioned support." Likely, these need to remain mostly "as is" (and it could be detrimental to success if they are radically changed).

The "change" is instead with the whole host of new capabilities and "services" that have to be created, developed and resourced to support the new outcome-based offer(s). This level of (often monumental) change makes it appear that the "traditional" services also changed.

In the end, yes, the way "service" is approached has fundamentally changed, but my perspective (and caution) here is to suggest that you might be most successful viewing this as parallel entities: protect, harden and continue to optimize your traditional services while simultaneously growing, maturing and differentiating the net-new services that are necessary to sustain the new offerings.