Converting temporary solutions (free trials) into digital stratgies and compliant solutions

Sonu Natt
Sonu Natt Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

As many of you would have experienced, during COVID a number of clients took advantage of 'free trials' from various vendors, and in most cases just stood up a 'quick and dirty' solution in order to keep the lights on. Since many of those trials are coming to an end, has anyone seen success in converting these to permanent compliant solutions, and better still, enable a serious conversation with clients on their digital transformation?

Best Answer

Answers

• Alexander Ziegler
    Alexander Ziegler Founding Member | Expert ✭✭✭

I can confirm to you that we had in one area where I'm aware of a multiple dedicated client requests for what you call 'quick' offfer from COVID19. And there is now work to convert this into a formal product. But: The reasoning on our side was not just to please the clients, but we used the client requests to open a formal product strategy discussion. And we realized, that there is obviously a serious market need for something we did put out 'quick' for clients. I would not just create a formal offer without normal market research. In our case the conclusion is: COVID19 did drive in my example an evolution that would have probably anyway have happened during the next 1-2 years (we spoke about this idea before but it never really was high on our radar) which now happens during the next 1-2 quarters.

• Doug Caviness
    Doug Caviness Member | Expert ✭✭✭

@Sonia Sedler We've had very good success in converting free trials to paid versions. This started in the B2C market a number of years ago and in the last 2 years this has been a dominant customer acquisition vehicle for several B2B products we sell. We rely heavily on automation (in product messaging), email marketing, and ecommerce to build the funnel paying customers, who can later be upsold by sales reps or partners, as appropriate. I've become a big proponent of Product Led Growth and OpenView has several good resources you might enjoy, such as: https://openviewpartners.com/blog/build-the-end-user-era/