Early November Transactional Support Survey Response Rate

Is anyone else seeing a significant dip in survey response rates for transactional support surveys (CSAT and CES) in the first week of November?

Our market is United States healthcare. I'm wondering if our drop in response rate is due to election anxiety or a recent change to our survey itself.

Answers

• PatrickMartin
    PatrickMartin Founding Analyst | Expert ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hi @David Seaton,

I guess it would be hard to determine if the election anxiety is a factor since it would seem like your survey changes have coincided with what is currently going on. I guess only time will tell if things pick up again once the dust settles in. From our perspective, since our case volumes are low (about 100 per week), our survey response rates very a lot so it is still too early to determine is our response rate has dropped significantly.

However, we are in the process of redesigning our survey (targeted launch on December 1st). We are taking the approach of rotating both versions of the survey to measure variations in response and CSAT ratings overall. We want to ensure that if we see huge variations, we can identify whether or not it is due to the new survey. If results are the same on both versions, then it is circumstancial. If we only see variation on the new version, then we'll know it is due to that.

I don't know if it is still possible for you to make changes and do some A/B testing between your surveys to see what is the cause, but if you can, I would suggest you try and see. You could be able to quickly identify whether your new survey is the cause of the decrease in response.

I hope this helps.

• I was just surprised at the 2% drop in response rate week-over-week and wondered if anyone else had seen a similar phenomenon.

We didn't A/B test the changes because we assumed they were benign - we hid 3 questions from the middle of the survey in an attempt to reduce partial completions.

• GailPropson
    GailPropson Founding Partner | Scholar ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hi @David Seaton,

Did you see your response rates bounce back since the dip in early November?

Gail

• @Gail Propson , Yes, we sure did!

The response rate more than doubled from election week to the week after! 😀

• GailPropson
    GailPropson Founding Partner | Scholar ✭✭

@David Seaton

Interesting. I hope that trend continues for you up to the Holidays.

Gail