iOS vs Android Usage in Inpatient Facilities by Clinicians

Hi there, I'm hoping to find current research that focuses on the percentage of inpatient care providers that use iOS vs Android devices for clinical care. We'd love any insights that others have gathered recently, thank you!

Answers

• Lexi Provost
    Lexi Provost Moderator | mod

Hi Shawna! Thank you for your question. @Daniel Fonseca, @Sunita Arora, and @Ray McLean, do you have any insight here?

• Ray McLean
    Ray McLean Founding Analyst | Scholar ✭✭

Hi Shawna,

Thank you Lexi for forwarding this question. This is an excellent question and after searching for information on the exact ask, I have come up short on finding information. With that said, the questions surrounding IT infrastructure, future device integration, security, company compliance and regulation all need to be considered.

The bottom line is to decide which is best for your environment. Most apps utilize both platforms, deciding which one works best for your needs is the solution. I have attached an article focused on the ethical considerations and policy recommendations for mobile device use in health research.

The framework for regulation and use of devices still applies even if the model changes from research to clinical care. I will keep looking and post insights if I find any.

Ray

• Thanks for your response, Ray! I can definitely use the article attached, but will certainly be interested if you're able to uncover any research that tackles usage percentage of iOS vs Android in inpatient facilities. Specifically we're looking at apps that impact patient care or provide users with access to other connected systems (alarm annunciation from monitoring devices, staff communication) Thank you again!