Do you survey re-opened cases?

Looking for input from the community on whether you survey cases when re-opened, which could result in a case being surveyed multiple times. If yes, how do you account for an engineer receiving two surveys for the same case (i.e. which do you count)?

Answers

• Scott Siekmeier
    Scott Siekmeier Moderator | mod

Hi Karen! Thank you for bringing this topic to the community. TSIA recently published the Research Report: "Knowledge Management: Define, Apply, Evolve", which sheds some light how case surveying relates to knowledge management for Support Services organizations. I'd also like to loop in @Darryl Benjamin and @Sumit Bhat for any input they might have on this subject.

• Jerome Peck
    Jerome Peck TSIA Administrator | admin

@David Perrault I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

• David Perrault
    David Perrault Founding Analyst | Expert ✭✭✭

My take on this is that you should not survey twice the same case.

The CSAT survey captures the perception of the customer with the quality of the transaction that happened up to its closure (hopefully with the customers consent); and since you seek to fully satisfy your customer during the initial engagement, it is the one that counts.

However, you can/should be able to add internal comments to a CSAT survey to detail actions that might have been taken after the case closure in the event it is re-opened.

• Hi David and thanks for the reply. That was my initial thought as well, especially if the same engineer handles the case the second time around (you count the first survey). If a new engineer gets the case upon re-open though it means that they would not receive a survey (or feedback) on how they handled the case. Perhaps that shouldn't be seen as a significant issue given that the re-open rate should be low? I like your idea on gathering commentary from the customer about why they are re-opening and using that for coaching and improvement. One more related question: Do you think surveying twice and using the CSAT score from the second interaction or both scores would be an inaccurate measure of the performance for that case? Thank you again for your reply!

• David Perrault

@Karen Bautista indeed I believe you should not survey twice the same ticket, and if you do, you should not use that second rating in your main CSAT score. Most likely when a ticket is re-opened you are taking additional steps or putting additional attention to the issue which does not reflect the standard and consistent experience you wish all your customers to have.

• Thank you David, that is very helpful! I really appreciate your insights.

• David Perrault

You're welcome Karen - happy to discuss further if needed.

• SumitBhat
    SumitBhat Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

@Karen Bautista I agree with David , we should not survey the same case twice . Also in our current platform we cannot reopen the case once it has been closed; so a csat is never triggered twice on the same incident, however you can reference the old case/incident in a new incident if for some reason issue needs to be reworked. Some additional insights on why we have implemented this is also to avoid messing up our SLA's once we reopen the same case but we are working on a better way to tackle this in the future.

Also from a coaching perspective , we also trigger a case review if we receive a CSAT below our threshold , we have defined a IQI ( Incident quality index) framework which helps us to get insights on how a incident was handled and we use it as a coaching tool, hope these additional insights are helpful.

• Karen Bautista
    edited February 2021

That's very helpful, @Sumit Bhat. We have a similar process to your IQI to enable coaching. Thanks again for your insights and help.