How are you calculating Time to Resolution (TTR)?

Hello! My question is related to Time to Resolution. How are you calculating TTR and are you including weekends (i.e. business days versus calendar days)? Also, do you include time spent in "Waiting on Customer" when the customer is unresponsive?

Answers

• Hi Karen, 

that's a very good question. We refer to working days when calculating TTR. We do not factor out the time we spend waiting for customers. However, we do measure these periods carefully. Especially for systems that are still functional, customers often prefer to postpone the repair until a time that is convenient for them, which of course has a negative effect on our average value in the TTR. Best regards, Tanjef

• Thank you, Tanjef...that's very helpful! We are currently using calendar days and it's a topic brought up by our managers and engineers as making the target harder to obtain. We're also looking at (as an alternative) compensating for it by adjusting the target higher. Really appreciate your insights!

• Kevin Bowers
    Kevin Bowers Member | Guru ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Hi @Karen Bautista,

In our TSIA Support Services and Field Services Benchmark studies, we provide the below definition for resolution time.

RESOLUTION TIME: For this survey consider resolution time to be defined as the time from SUPPORT SERVICE or FIELD SERVICE INCIDENT inception until the final solution has been provided to the customer. For example, if the solution is provided after 10 hours, but the customer does not confirm the solution resolved the problem until 1 week later, the resolution time is 10 hours. If the solution did not fix the problem, then the clock is still running. In the above example, a second solution is provided 20 hours after confirmation that the first solution did not work, and the total resolution time would be 198 hours (the first 10, the week waiting for confirmation, and the additional 20 hours).

• Thank you, Kevin...very helpful too.

• Hi, I have another related question. What % of the life of the case do you expect to be spent in the customer court ("waiting on customer")? In terms of time spent, we've consistently got the customer court coming in first and then the engineer court as second. That seems reversed to me, but I know there are many reasons why we might wait on the customer. Look forward to your thoughts!

• Hi, I have another related question. What % of the life of the case do you expect to be spent in the customer court ("waiting on customer")? In terms of time spent, we've consistently got the customer court coming in first and then the engineer court as second. That seems reversed to me, but I know there are many reasons why we might wait on the customer. Look forward to your thoughts!