In addition to Education Services offers going all virtual, what other actions are you taking?

Elise Lostutter
Elise Lostutter Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Technology & Services Strategy

As all in-person training delivery has halted, we've certainly shifted to virtual instructor-led classes and we're focusing on promoting our online University. What other actions are you taking at this time?

Best Answers

• AlyssaOrtiz
    AlyssaOrtiz Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Like others, the big push to customers has shifted to online training options like our virtual classrooms and eCourses. We also created a resource section on our website that hosts free videos and recommended online courses categorized by top personas.

Answers

• Tom Martin
    Tom Martin Member | Enthusiast ✭

We are researching the latest technologies in digital platforms to deliver virtual instructor-led classes to offer the "same or better" customer experience. I like the platform used for TSW. I believe it was On24. Has anyone done this research already, or recommend a modern platform for virtual training?

• Bill Hor
    Bill Hor Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

We are using Virtual Remote Guidance (VRG) to deliver break-fix hands on training in a virtual environment

• Joe Thomas
    Joe Thomas Founding Analyst | Scholar ✭✭

We've created a whole "FinancialForce CARES" initiative, in which free "Remote Instructor Led" training is a primary component. We were fortunate in that we had an initiative to transition to more "remote" training started the middle of 2019, as our 2 primary "in person" training hubs (other than going on-site at customers) were either San Francisco (expensive for customers to travel to and stay in hotels) or Harrogate UK (pretty remote in Northern England)

• Alexander Ziegler
    Alexander Ziegler Founding Member | Expert ✭✭✭

@Joe Thomas How are you finding the 'free' component? I like the idea but I always struggle to setup something that is free...

• StevenForth
    StevenForth Founding Partner | Expert ✭✭✭

@Tom Martin We are looking at NovoEd. I am taking a course right now by IDEO the design company on Designing Strategy with Roger Martin and Jennifer Riel and I am quite happy with the experience. I am getting a demo of the admin and authoring functions next week. I have also heard good things about Docebo but have not yet done any deep investigation. NovoEd has a good integration with Zoom, but of course not all organizations permit Zoom, so that might be a consideration. They may have other integrations as well. We are looking at integrating our skill and competency management platform with both of these. We have existing integrations with older LMS platforms like Saba and SAP Successfactors.

• Elise Lostutter
    Elise Lostutter Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

@Steven Forth Just out of curiosity, why so many learning management systems? Sounds like you have Saba and Successfactors now and looking to possibly add one more. Will that be a replacement for the existing two, or are you using different platforms for different audiences?

• StevenForth

Hi @Elise Lostutter We are deeply integrated into our customer and partner ecosystems so we need to support what they are using. I think many customer success programs will need/want to go down this path. You want your learning resources to be assignable and tracked on your customer's systems and you likely need you own system.

• Tom Martin
    Tom Martin Member | Enthusiast ✭

Thank you @Steven Forth and @Elise Lostutter for the interaction. Our LMS is Cornerstone, and we do have security concerns about Zoom. We are currently using WebEx to deliver Instructor Led Virtual Training, but looking for something more robust. I like the On24 platform but that is a much more expensive and complicated option. I will check out the ones you recommended. Thanks, Tom

• Alexander Ziegler
    Alexander Ziegler Founding Member | Expert ✭✭✭

@Tom Martin probably some interesting background for you: IBM is using WebEx worldwide, and even with other platforms having a more modern feeling from time to time the good news for us was that in COVID19 WebEx really did not let us down and is on a global level really stable and reliable. And I have experienced most other platforms being not really reliable during COVID19 when clients asked me to joing their tools. So, I'm wondering what is going on that you're looking for something more robust. Maybe you should approach WebEx to investigate what is not working well for you?

• Bill Hor
    Bill Hor Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

@Tom Martin HPE uses an internally developed product called MyRoom for the delivery of customer and employee VILT classes. It was specifically designed for remote classrooms, so it is very instructor, student and registration friendly. You can gain more details at https://www.myroom.hpe.com/

• StevenForth

Instructor led training and online learning can only be a small part of the equation. Remember the 70:20:10 hypotheses, that 70% of learning takes place in the context of work, 20% through social interactions and 10% through formal learning. If this is at least directionally true, then are we making the right investments? I think we over invest in formal learning as we don't have good ways to invest in and measure the impact of other forms of learning.

I don't think there is one solution here. I do think we need to invest more in understanding the skills people actually have and how they are being applied across different job and project roles. This will help with the measurement, if we can see what new skills are being added, how expertise is being built (or lost) and how it is being applied. I also think it is time for more investment in coaching, active mentorship and apprentice programs, but with more measurement and accountability than is usually associated with these programs. Communities of practice are also, in my experience, underused.