Any experiences, challenges, using AR/VR technology for delivery?

Dan Lopez
Dan Lopez Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

We generally deliver our service via old-school face-to-face means (including phone). With social distancing, travel restrictions, etc,, we're quickly trying to adopt AR/VR technologies for a richer experience. I'm interested in hearing challenges, cautions, especially related to IP protection.

Answers

• Hi Dan - Happy to connect you to some of our partners surrounding that can assist if that's helpful. Specifically, I'm thinking of Help Lightning. Let me know your thoughts! - Karolin

• Also - I presented on AR/VR/MR in Las Vegas 2018. Happy to connect and share with you the presentation.

• John Ragsdale
    John Ragsdale Member | Guru ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a webinar next week on Wednesday with Help Lightning, a VR supplier for support and field service. They have a customer presenting a case study, so good change to hear their challenges: https://www.tsia.com/webinars/the-new-normal-virtual-field-service-and-digital-support

The biggest challenge I've heard is customers nervous about the technology, so employees need to be able to articulate security features (encrypted transmissions, audit trails). There is also an issue that some companies don't allow cameras onsite due to security concerns, especially imaging companies. I find this a bit funny as all their employees walk in with cell phones that have cameras. But in these cases, your legal team can develop a waver for the customer to sign to get around any camera restrictions.

• Bill Hor
    Bill Hor Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

We have offered a number of our traditional onsite, hands on "break fix / installation" classes via Virtual Remote Guidance. The instructor or an assistant wears VRG glasses and performs the hands on requirements while students watch in real time. We can tape the session and allow students to watch at their own pace.

• TraeShattuck
    TraeShattuck Founding Member | Scholar ✭✭

We are developing plans to offer AR to our field technicians on their mobile devices, with the expectation that it will increase the speed of service delivery at the customer site, reduce the number of times we have to re-visit the customer because the initial dispatch was incomplete/incorrect and minimize the number of times the field technician calls into tech support to get further guidance.

• DivyaAgarwal
    DivyaAgarwal Member | Enthusiast ✭

Dan, we are implementing AR-based tech support solutions for a few of our clients, and we have found certain best practices to ensure IP protection -

-taking upfront permission from the customer and disclosing what will be captured in the video;

-we also mask the surroundings that are not relevant to the services provided and confidential info like password screens, etc.;

-and finally, saving only relevant screens from the conversation in the system with the user's permission.

Happy to discuss if you'd like to know more.