Diversity-Enabling Metrics?

Options

This is the Q that I raised during Julian Guthrie's keynote at TSIA Interact:

"Can you talk to metrics on how having a diverse, inclusive workforce helps to successfully innovate and to navigate risk? Metrics move corporations, eventually."

The Q was limited in character count, but my intention with the Q was to seek guidance on the specific metrics used to demonstrate the positive outcomes of having a diverse and inclusive workforce: how diversity supports and enables the successful execution of innovation and risks management.

We know the stories that tell this tale, but what are the metrics we can use as levers to shift corporate behavior toward the positive outcomes that these stories tell?

Allan.

Answers

• PatrickCarmitchel
    PatrickCarmitchel TSIA Administrator | admin
    Options

Great question @Allan Grohe. If you haven't already taken a look, we have begun to poll the industry on the topic of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

@Laura Fay heads up our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion board at TSIA and may have some more insights on this topic. @Carlos Alves recently mentioned that Logicalis has been on this journey for some time and may have some insights on their journey.

• AllanGrohe
    Options

Thank you, @Patrick Carmitchel, I will take a look at the polling data, which I'd not seen previously.

@Laura Fay: thank you for leading the brilliant session with Julian Guthrie, it was very inspirational. At CommScope, we have recently created an internal Diversity & Inclusion Business Network to help remake ourselves in the image of what we'd like to be, which is what prompted my additional clarification about diversity-enabling metrics that we can use as levers to help accelerate our internal transformation.

@Carlos Alves: I welcome any additional insights and learnings that you can share, as well as those from other members!

Allan.

• LauraFay
    LauraFay Member | Guru ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Allan Grohe .

Companies in the industry are measuring several metrics that correlate diversity in their employee base with business results.

In my opinion the process should start with baselining your employee demographics on gender and race across all levels - individual contributor, supervisor and c-level. If you have more than 100 employees, you are likely collecting this data as required by EEOC.

Then select a series of business metrics to track. These metrics should be advised by what practices the research has correlated with business performance. (here's just one source. https://www.score.org/resource/infographic-how-diversity-drives-business-success. there are many).

The key of course to improving these business metrics (revenue, profit, productivity, employee retention, employee satisfaction, etc.) is to invest in the practices that are correlated with likelihood of superior performance in these areas.